Thursday, August 13, 2009

Being Factored By the Almighty Number Police

So...as I drove home from the gym today, zipping along obviously over the speed limit. I passed the electronic speed limit sign that stated I was only going 28 in the 30 mile zone, when my odometer stated 32...hmmm....many times going the other direction the sign has flashed in it's bold red letters "SLOW DOWN" or some such words. Which I usually extend one of my cute little fingers at because : I'm such a lady at 48 years of age. Why is it that my life is controlled by Numbers, and how do I know if they are accurate?...because I think honestly there is some kind of injustice in the force of nature right now that's personally chiding me with this whole number thing.....
Now this leads into while pedaling furiously on my recumbent bike at the gym just shortly before this light bulb moment on the road home with my iced decaf nonfat vanilla latte, the woman at the gym on the bike next to me. Here I am (now I know I'm short so maybe I must pedal faster to make more revolutions? I know "lifes not fair") sweating out my 30 minutes of random hills on the bike on level 6 barely burning 200 calories per the machine that I sit upon. As this woman next to me who started after me by maybe say 4 to 5 minutes, pedals at less revolutions and doesn't seem to break a sweat reading her book! Meh! She wasn't like some stealth woman version of Lance Armstrong by any means, yet as I peeked over her calorie count slowly but surely surpassed mine! Harumpf! I did later see she was on Level 8 but so what! She was pedaling waaaayyy slower....and "I" was pushing it and sweating. So again are the machines with their numbers gauging everything we do really actuate? Kinda reminds me of the movie 2001 Space Oddessy when I was a kid and the computer "Hal" takes over, or I guess I'm just being paranoid...yeah I'm sure that's it. :-/
As I sit here I look back at the puppy sitting on the couch happily chewing on his new toy totally oblivious to any of this drivel that I speak....hmmm....dog's life....

No comments:

Post a Comment